Memorandum to CouncilRead the BRC Memorandum to Council on Electronic Voting, submitted January 21, 2014.
In March 2014, council reviewed the BRC’s material, including the generally favourable feedback from members, and voted to direct e-voting bylaws to the annual meeting on May 3, 2014, for member vote. The following three motions passed:
1) That the following bylaws be proposed for a vote by members at the May 3 AIBC annual meeting:
- Proposed Bylaw Language for a new AIBC bylaw to allow council election e-voting:
24.3 The council may establish rules for the conduct of council elections by electronic means, including by internet voting by members entitled to vote. These rules must provide for reasonable access to voting and to the confidentiality and security of such voting process.
- Proposed Bylaw Language for a new AIBC bylaw to allow e-voting for bylaw amendments:
35.4 The council may establish rules to allow for amendment to these Bylaws by electronic means, including by internet voting of members entitled to vote. These rules must provide for reasonable access to voting, the confidentiality and security of such voting process and to ensure that the provisions for notice, majority approval and the voting period are no less than those established for mail ballot bylaw amendments in these Bylaws.
2) That the Executive Director be asked to take the necessary procedural steps, including member notification, to allow this vote to proceed on May 3; and
3) That prior to establishing rules for e-voting (should the bylaws become effective), Council will give members notice of the proposed rules and provide an opportunity for member feedback.