COVID-19 Update: Given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the AIBC will not be offering in-person delivery of the four mandatory courses in 2021. Please refer to the website for more information.
As part of the registration process, Intern Architects AIBC and Broadly Experienced Applicant (BEA) candidates are required to attend, in full, a minimum number of professional development courses to ensure competency.
Up until 2018, the minimum requirement was four (4) mandatory courses and two (2) elective courses, for a total of six (6) courses. After an extensive review, redesigned courses were introduced, and a transitional plan instituted for those who were mid-stream in their course obligations. As of 2020, the minimum number courses is four (4), with all redesigned courses deemed mandatory.
Architect & the Law
BC Building Code
Ethics, Act & Bylaws
Pre-course Work & Course Materials
Due to the limited classroom time available for these mandatory subjects, all courses include pre-course work. Though it is not a requirement to complete the pre-course work, it is strongly recommended. This work will provide the necessary knowledge for participants to engage with the topic and be able to participate during the in-class activities.
All course materials will be provided by the AIBC, with the exception of the Building Code. Participants are responsible for having a hard (or digital) copy of either the National Building Code, BC Building Code or the Vancouver Building Bylaw to bring to the BC Building Code course. Note: for those planning to write the ExAC this year, it is recommended to bring the NBC as this is what will be used during ExAC.
No refunds will be issued for a withdrawal within 30 days of the course date. If a request is received to withdraw from a course more than 30 days before the course date, refunds will be subject to a $60 administration fee plus applicable taxes. Transferring between courses or individuals is not permitted. Full refunds (i.e., not subject to an administrative fee) will only be given in case of emergencies, at the AIBC’s entire discretion. An emergency refund form may be required to be completed.
Note: The AIBC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses.
Course Attendance Policy
- Course participants are expected to be punctual and must attend the full course day of every course for completion of the intern architect/BEA program. Attendance is seen as integral to the participant success and will be monitored.
- Attendance will be marked as incomplete in the following circumstances:
- Arriving more than 30 minutes late without reasonable justification (e.g., unavoidable late plane/ferry arrival); and
- Leaving early without reasonable justification.
- In the event of an unexcused late arrival or early departure, the participant may be required to make up the full course at the participant’s expense.
- Learning units will be adjusted to reflect the actual hours attended for course participants not enrolled in the intern architect/BEA program.
All decisions related to emergency refunds and incomplete course attendance in will be made by the AIBC’s manager of professional services.
For more information about AIBC Courses or questions regarding your course completion status, please email email@example.com.