Architects are required, by AIBC Bylaws 28.0 and 28.1, to ensure that an executed, written agreement is in place prior to commencing work for a client. This architectural services contract must be a standard form contract approved by AIBC Council, or be based upon, and generally consistent with, a standard contract in relation to the services, responsibilities, and general conditions.
AIBC Council has approved eight standard form contracts, listed below. Please note that the lawful use of these contracts requires the purchase of authorization stickers for each party to the contract. Authorization stickers can be purchased from the AIBC (order form) and the RAIC (for RAIC contracts only). Failure to use the authorization stickers may constitute unprofessional conduct and open an architect and firm to other legal claims.
AIBC Council-Approved Contracts
- AIBC 6C: AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C Between Client and Consultant
Schedule of Consultant’s Services and Client Responsibility (Released February 2007)
- AIBC 6C-H: (For Healthcare Projects in British Columbia) Supplemental Conditions to AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C Between Client & Consultant (Released February 2007)
- AIBC 8C: AIBC Standard Short Form Contract Between Client & Consultant (Released January 2020)
(More Information: Practice Guideline: Document 8C – 2020 Standard Short Form Contract Between Client and Consultant)
- AIBC 8C Chinese Language Edition: AIBC – 合同文件8C – 2020委托方与设计顾问简版标准合同(中文版) (Released May 2020) (More information – Chinese Language Edition: 建筑实践说明: 合同文件8C – 2020委托方与设计顾问简版标准合同使用说明（中文版）)
- RAIC 6: RAIC Canadian Standard Form of Contract for Architectural Services (2018 edition)
- RAIC 9: RAIC Canadian Standard Form of Contract Between Architect and Consultant (2018 edition)
For further information about standard form contracts, please refer to Regulatory Review | Terms of Engagement 101: Types of Standard Form Contracts
AIBC Authorization Stickers / CCDC Electronic Documents and Copyright Stickers
AIBC Authorization Stickers and CCDC Electronic Documents and Copyright Stickers can be ordered from the AIBC. Orders will be accepted by mail, email, phone or in person. Remember: an authorization sticker is required for each party to a contract. Therefore, you need a minimum of two per contract (except CCDC 9).
- Download the order form: AIBC Authorization Stickers / CCDC Electronic Documents, Publications & Copyright Stickers (Seals) (PDF).
*NOTE: To complete the form and ensure accuracy of auto-calculations, use Adobe Acrobat to fill out this form. It is not recommended to complete the form in an internet browser.
For practice advice on the use of standard form contracts please contact Maura Gatensby Architect AIBC, Practice Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.305.2699.
For assistance with ordering AIBC authorization stickers or CCDC electronic documents and stickers, please email email@example.com or call 604.683.8588.