Architects are required, by bylaw and council rulings in the Code of Ethics, to ensure that an executed, written agreement is in place prior to commencing work for a client. The services, responsibilities and general conditions in such agreements must be based upon, and generally consistent with, standard form agreements as approved by AIBC Council.
As part of the practice advice service provided by the AIBC, the Institute’s Professional Services Department can offer assistance to architects and firms on certain business practice issues, including the use of standard form contracts between client and consultant and other agreements.
Standard form contracts can be viewed and downloaded free of charge below, though using them requires the purchase, from the AIBC, of authorization stickers (seals) for each party to the contract.
AIBC Standard Form Contracts
- 6C: AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C Between Client and Consultant
Schedule of Consultant’s Services and Client Responsibility (Released February 2007)
- 6C-H: (For Healthcare Projects in British Columbia) Supplemental Conditions to AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C Between Client & Consultant (Released February 2007)
- 8C: AIBC Standard Short Form Contract Between Client & Consultant (Released January 2010)
- Documents & Guideline to BCDC-2: Standard Documents and Guidelines for a Stipulated Price Bid for use on Publicly Funded Building Projects In the Province of British Columbia (Released July 2013)
- Resource Information BCDC-2: Resource Information and Guidelines for BCDC-2 (Released July 2013)
AIBC Authorization Stickers / CCDC Electronic Documents and Copyright Stickers
AIBC Authorization Stickers and CCDC Electronic Documents and Copyright Stickers can be ordered from the AIBC. Orders will be accepted by mail, email, phone or in person. Remember: an authorization sticker is required for each party to a contract. Therefore, you need a minimum of two per contract (except CCDC 9).
- Download the order form: AIBC Authorization Stickers / CCDC Electronic Documents, Publications & Copyright Stickers (Seals) (PDF).
For practice advise on the use of standard form contracts please contact Maura Gatensby Architect AIBC, Practice Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.305.2699.
For assistance with ordering AIBC authorization stickers or CCDC electronic documents, publications and copyright stickers (seals) please email email@example.com or call 604.683.8588.