Registrants, including architectural firms and temporary licensees, must update/confirm their information with the Institute every year and pay annual fees as required. This can be done online using the AIBC’s confidential and secure registrant site.
Annual fees are paid by Architects AIBC, associates (Intern Architect AIBC, Architectural Technologist AIBC and Retired Architect AIBC), Firms, Temporary Licensees, and affiliates (architectural technologist applicant, Broadly Experienced Applicant (BEA) candidate, Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) applicant, student affiliate and industry affiliate). Fees are determined annually by AIBC Council and provided in Bulletin 1: Fees, Fines and Charges.
Fee waivers may apply:
- For Architects AIBC and associates, a waiver or reduction of annual renewal fees may be considered due to financial hardship, medical disability, parental leave or family leave.
- Retired Architects AIBC, with a cumulative 40-year registration history as an Architect AIBC and Retired Architect AIBC, may have their annual renewal fee waived in recognition of their longstanding registration.
- Student affiliates are eligible to have their annual fees waived upon providing proof of student status.
The AIBC’s annual renewal cycle involves a number of phases. Every summer, the AIBC sends registrants and affiliates a mid-year reminder to review and update their individual information. In October, architectural firms are required to update/confirm their information. Renewal invoices are sent out mid-November, with payment of annual fees due by February 1, a date set in the Architects Act.
Please note that if you are planning to resign you must be up to date with your annual renewal fees to be able to resign in good standing. If you resign part way through the year after having paid your annual fee, you will be eligible for a partial refund.
Timeline and key deadlines
- Summer 2019 – Mid-year reminder sent to registrants to update their individual information. Note: Registrants are able and encouraged to update their information throughout the year.
- October 1, 2019 – Firm Information Update begins.
- October 31, 2019 – Deadline for Firm Information Update.
- Third week in November, 2019 – Annual renewal invoices are sent to registrants.
- February 1, 2020 – Deadline to complete annual renewal of registration and payment of fees.