Registration with the AIBC is mandatory for architects practising or offering to practise in British Columbia. To become registered, an architect must meet stringent standards established by the AIBC.
There are three different pathways to registration as an Architect AIBC, depending on your level of education and experience.
- Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) – The most common route to becoming an architect in this province is through the Internship in Architecture Program (IAP), which is suitable for those who have never been registered as an architect, or who have been registered outside of Canada in a foreign jurisdiction for seven years or less. Through the IAP, individuals with an accredited/certified professional degree in architecture can work towards the requirements for entry to practice.
- Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) – If you are an architect already registered in a jurisdiction outside British Columbia, you may qualify to register with the AIBC under a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA), also known as registration by reciprocity.
- Alternative Qualifications – You may have alternative qualifications not recognized through the IAP or reciprocity/mutual recognition agreements. In this case, you may be eligible for enrolment in an alternative qualifications program to assess your experience and acquired competencies against the Canadian Competency Matrix.
- See Alternative Qualifications for information about program options.
- Apply for registration as an architect upon completion of an alternative qualifications pathway.
To determine your best option for registration, see Pathways to Register as an Architect in British Columbia (PDF).
For more information about the application and annual fees due upon application, please refer to:
- Bulletin 1: Fees, Fines and Charges
- Bulletin 1 Appendix A: Application and Prorated Annual Fees for Registration as an Architect or Associate
Pathways to Registration Information Sessions
For those with an architectural background unsure how to proceed toward registration as an Architect AIBC, information sessions regarding the pathways to registration are held at the AIBC throughout the year. As capacity is limited, pre-registration for these sessions is required.
In 2020 the session dates are:
- March 5
- April 24
- May 7
- June 4
- September 3
- October 1
- November 5
If interested in attending, please email email@example.com with a very brief description of your architectural background and the date you’d like to attend.