Since 2011, the AIBC has been engaged in a comprehensive bylaw review process to address both substantive bylaw subject matter areas and more routine amendments. The Bylaw Review Committee (BRC ), supported by AIBC Council, advanced the following initiative.
Bylaw Amendments: Administrative
This initiative is a set of three administrative or “housekeeping” amendments:
- to modernize the former title of Executive Director to “CEO”;
- to establish a sensible quorum for AIBC annual meetings;
- to enact a bylaw to give the Code of Ethics stronger status.
Given the relatively modest changes proposed for the administrative amendments, the AIBC conducted a shorter consultation period with a goal of returning to council with a submission in November 2015 so that an electronic vote may be possible within the 2015 calendar year.
Presentations are available for viewing below.
Council policy requires member consultation when any bylaw amendments are supported by council. AIBC council invited participation at the following consultation sessions, which will addressed the proposed bylaw amendments. The sessions will opened with a presentation, followed by a question and answer period.
Consultation Session: Administrative Amendments
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Time: 5 – 7 p.m.
Location: In-person (AIBC office) and online
Learning Units (LUs): 1 Core
RSVP: In-person session (October 9 at 5 p.m.) — Now closed
RSVP: Online session (October 7 at 12 p.m.) — Now closed
The in-person and online session will be available to a maximum of 25 participants (each) on a first come, first serve basis.
Member feedback can be provided to the Bylaw Review Committee at any time. Please email the Bylaw Review Committee at: email@example.com.
In addition, an online feedback form was available for comments:
Bylaw Review: Administrative Amendments Online Feedback Form. (available September 30 – November 2).
Powerpoint PresentationBylaw Amendments: Administrative (Fall 2015)
Member Vote & Results
AIBC members and honorary members are entitled and encouraged to vote on proposed new and amended bylaws. The passage of AIBC bylaws requires at least five per cent of the number of eligible voters and a minimum of two-thirds of affirmative majority of ballots cast by eligible voters.
The voting period for the three administrative bylaw amendments opened November 16 and closed at 5 p.m. (PST) on December 10, 2015.
The three bylaw amendments received strong support, with approval rates as follows:
- Bylaw 19.1 at 84.1%
- Amendment of an existing bylaw to establish an appropriate quorum for AIBC annual meetings
- Bylaw 38.0 and 38.1 at 89.3%
- Establishment of two bylaws to reinforce the Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct as the core ‘standards’ document with respect to the conduct, discipline, standards and honour of the profession of architecture in British Columbia.
- Multiple bylaws (CEO) at 82.7%
- Amendment to 16 bylaws to change the former title of Executive Director to “Chief Executive Officer (CEO)” to modernize institute governance.
With an overall participation rate of 27%, voter turnout remained steady as compared to previous bylaw e-votes. Under the Architects Act, notice of the bylaw changes must be filed with the provincial government which has 45 days to consider whether to disallow the bylaws. The filing took place December 11, 2015. After the passing of the disallowance period, members were notified of the final bylaw status.