- This event has passed.
Passive House Design and Construction for Architects
August 8, 2018 @ 9:00 am - August 10, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
Passive House Design and Construction for Architects in partnership with Passive House Canada
Interested in learning more about Passive House? Want to become a Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant? Take advantage of our three-day condensed Passive House Design and Construction course in partnership with Passive House Canada!
This course will cover the technical, economic and policy elements of Passive House buildings. The Passive House Design and Construction for Architects course is equivalent to 120A – the first of three courses required for the ‘Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant’ designation. This course can be taken on its own even if participants do not intend to write the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam. Participants intending to write the exam can continue directly into 120B and 120C.
Over three days, participants will learn how to apply Passive House principles in the context of building physics, windows and mechanical systems. Numerous case studies, both domestic and international, will be used to demonstrate current best practices and teach concepts of cost assessment. Participants will also have the opportunity to solidify their learning with interactive exercises throughout the course.
Dates: August 8 – 10, 2018
Location: AIBC, Suite 100, 440 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC.
Learning Units: 21 Core
For more details and to register.
Open to all, this course is tailored to architects and associates interested in learning about Passive House building projects.
– Building science and energy use, overview of Passive House principles
– In-depth look at insulation and airtightness design and construction techniques
– Thermal bridging principles
– Window placement, construction and efficiency
– Ventilation system design principles, components, distribution and operation
– Heating and cooling a Passive House building, design principles, components, distribution and operation
– Economics of Passive House design and construction, cost and risk reduction, marketability
– Quality assurance and testing
– Building certification process
The instructors for this course will be Cillian Collins, Registered Architect in Ireland and Certified Passive House Designer at Perkins + Will in Vancouver, and Adam James, Architect AIBC and Certified Passive House Designer at Ryder Architecture in Vancouver.