- In 1955, The Architectural Profession Act, as the legislation is known until 1979, is substantially amended from 1920s-era law. A revamped disciplinary process and extensive ‘exemptions’ section (now Section 60) are introduced. To this day, this is the most substantial change to the Act since its introduction.
- The University of British Columbia reorganized the Department of Architecture into the School of Architecture in 1950.
- 19,000 neon signs illuminated the streets of Vancouver in 1953, with one per 18 residents at the time – estimated to be second only to Las Vegas! Today, there are only a fraction of the signs from this era remaining. (Sun Tower, Dominion Photo Co., Vancouver Public Library 27181)
- The Vancouver Main Post Office (349 W Georgia Street) was completed in 1958, replacing the original post office building on the corner of West Hastings and Granville Street. At the time, it was the largest welded steel structure in the world. Situated on an entire city block, the historic five-storey landmark is an example of modernist architecture.
(Vancouver Main Post Office, Flickr)