In November 2020, Appendix B of the Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) Manual was revised to align with the current national IAP Manual (published by the Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities). The national IAP Manual was updated to the fourth edition on July 1, 2020.
Appendix B of the IAP Manual sets out the specific requirements and guidelines for Intern Architects AIBC and Student Affiliates enrolled with the AIBC and must be reviewed in conjunction with the IAP Manual.
Summary of Changes
The revised Appendix B includes changes in three categories:
- Alignment with the national IAP Manual – Fourth Edition
- Clarification of sections, specifically relating to acceptable experience categories
- Removal of outdated sections
In addition, Appendix B now also provides clarification on what is deemed acceptable non-traditional experience. These clarifications address challenges experienced by Intern Architects AIBC in obtaining hours in certain architectural experience categories.
A comprehensive summary of changes to Appendix B are outlined in the table below:
|Student Affiliates (Recognized Students)||Up to 760 hours may be recognized||IAP Manual – Fourth Edition|
• Energy literacy/sustainability
• Envelope detailing
|New categories – reallocation of minimum required hours per category||IAP Manual – Fourth Edition|
• Changes effective as of July 1, 2020 with a two-year transition period
• Fully transitioned as of July 1, 2022
|Details of transition based on individual regulatory body.||IAP Manual – Fourth Edition|
|Definition of Terms||New section||Appendix B to the IAP Manual|
|Highlighted the key role of the Experience Review Committee in reviewing IAP hours||New section||Appendix B to the IAP Manual|
|Aligned requirements for all Student Affiliates|
• Recognized Students
• RAIC Syllabus students
|New section||Appendix B to the IAP Manual|
|Expanded the non-traditional work experience||Updated and expanded sections and clarifications on what is acceptable||Appendix B to the IAP Manual|
|Previous updates to the mandatory courses reducing courses from 6 to 4 with course equivalents previously approved by the Registration Board||Updated section||Appendix B to the IAP Manual
(based on previous Registration Board and council approvals)
As announced on August 5, 2020, the national IAP Manual – Fourth Edition, contained important changes:
- Acceptance of up to 760 pre-graduation hours from Recognized Students
- Two new discrete architectural experience categories of Energy Literacy/Sustainability and Envelope Detailing
- Reallocation of minimum hours required in some architectural experience categories
A transition period from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2022 has been established to minimize any disruption to Intern Architects AIBC who are close to completing their experience hour requirements. Intern Architects AIBC who have obtained at least 2,000 hours may continue submitting hours based on the old IAP Manual or CERB forms. Further transition information and examples can be found in Appendix B and in the Frequently Asked Questions section: IAP Changes – Appendix B.
By July 1, 2022, all Intern Architects AIBC must transition to the new IAP Manual – Fourth Edition, with no exceptions.
Virtual Information Session – January 7, 2021
The AIBC will host a virtual Information Session on Thursday, January 7, 2021 from 12 to 1:30 p.m. through Zoom Webinar. Registration is open now, and will close on January 6. Please send any questions regarding the transition or changes in advance of the session to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date: January 7, 2021
Time: 12 – 1:30 p.m.
Location: Online via Zoom (Zoom link will be provided after registration for the session closes)
Learning Units (LUs): 1.5 Core LUs
Registration: Register Online by January 6 at 12 p.m.
If you have any questions about the changes made to Appendix B or the transition, please email email@example.com.
- National Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) Manual – Fourth Edition (PDF)
- CERB Forms – Fourth Edition (PDF)
- Appendix B: Specific Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities (CALA) Requirements – November 2020 (PDF)
- Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) Manual – Third edition (PDF)
- CERB Form – Third Edition (PDF)