The 2019 AIBC Course Schedule (PDF) is now available for viewing and registration. Please note that registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
In 2017, the AIBC began an extensive review of course offerings. The course redesign project was undertaken to ensure that entry-to-practice competencies for registration were being met by the curriculum. Four redesigned courses were developed and introduced. The focus of the redesigned courses includes regulatory and legal matters specific to the practice of architecture in B.C., all of which will better prepare intern architects and BEA candidates for registration. Built with the students in mind, the redesigned courses now have updated and more current content, better defined learning objectives, and activity-based learning strategies, which promote an engaged environment for the more complex areas of study.
Up until 2018, the minimum requirement was four mandatory courses and two elective courses, for a total of six courses as part of the internship coursework. By 2020, the minimum number of required courses will be four, with all courses deemed mandatory.
Participants who have already begun the internship coursework have two options:
- Transition into the redesigned courses fully; or
- Complete the courses based on the current system.
Both of these options ensure the highest possible competency level is achieved without missing significant content now covered in the redesigned program.
Important: Course Policy Changes
The AIBC has updated its course policies. Please ensure you carefully review the below to avoid incurring any penalties or fees:
Cancellations / Reschedule
- No refunds will be issued for a withdrawal within 30 days of the course date.
- If a request is received to withdraw from a course more than 30 days before the course date, refunds will be subject to a $60 administration fee plus applicable taxes.
- Transferring between courses is not permitted.
- Full refunds (i.e., not subject to an administrative fee) will be issued only in case of emergencies, at the AIBC’s entire discretion.
- If the AIBC cancels a course, full refunds will be issued. If the AIBC reschedules a course, course participants will be rescheduled for the new date. Those who cannot attend the new date will be issued full refunds.
- Course participants are expected to be punctual and must attend the full course day of every course for completion of the intern architect/BEA program. Attendance is seen as integral to the participant success and will be monitored.
- Attendance will be marked as incomplete in the following circumstances:
- Arriving more than 30 minutes late without reasonable justification (e.g., unavoidable late plane/ferry arrival); and
- Leaving early without reasonable justification.
- In the event of an unexcused late arrival or early departure, the participant may be required to make up the full course at the participant’s expense.
- Learning Units will be adjusted to reflect the actual hours attended for course participants not enrolled in the intern architect/BEA program.
All decisions related to emergency refunds and incomplete course attendance in will be made by the AIBC’s Manager of Professional Services.
Please note that unless otherwise notified, all courses are held at the AIBC (100-440 Cambie Street) and run from 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The AIBC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses.
Registration questions can be directed to AIBC Professional Development Coordinator Krista Sutherland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the course redesign project, visit the AIBC’s Ongoing Courses webpage.