The AIBC is changing the name of the “Practice Notes” to “Practice Guidelines”. The new title is more aligned with industry standards and naming conventions of other regulators. While the name is now different, the intention of the material remains the same – to provide guidance on specific architectural practice topics. Most have been completed – the remaining Practice Notes will remain available until they too are revised and reissued as Practice Guidelines.
All the new documents have been reviewed prior to re-publishing under the Practice Guideline title. This review resulted in minor editorial adjustments, reference updates, reorganization, removal of outdated information, and reformatting into a new template.
These updated documents were reviewed for currency, reissued with the new template and name, and underwent minor editorial changes, unless stated otherwise.
- Practice Note 2: Percentage Fees: Phased Earnings is now:
Practice Guideline: Percentage Fees: Phased Earnings
- Practice Note 6: Exchange of Electronic Information is now:
Practice Guideline: Exchange of Electronic Information
- Practice Note 8: Blended Hourly Rate Fees for Principals in Small Practices is now:
Practice Guideline: Blended Hourly Rate Fees for Principals in Small Practices
- Practice Note 9: Builders Lien Act – New Legislation & Implications is now:
Practice Guideline: Builders Lien Act: Builders Lien Act – Practice Guideline for Architects
- Practice Note 9 was first issued shortly after the enactment of the ‘new’ 1997 Builders Lien Act to assist architects with the many new provisions in the legislation. This 2019 Practice Guideline is a major revision of that 1998 Practice Note. After thorough legal review and advice, it has been rewritten and reorganized for greater clarity, and has been updated to reflect current industry practice. Some information related to the introduction of the ‘new’ 1997 legislation has been removed.
- Practice Note 12: Qualified Letters of Assurance is now:
Practice Guideline: Qualified Letters of Assurance
- Practice Note 14: AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C: Between Client & Consultant is now:
Practice Guideline: AIBC Standard Form of Contract 6C: Between Client & Consultant
- Practice Note 15: Letters of Assurance for Phased (or Partial) Occupancies is now:
Practice Guideline: Letters of Assurance for Phased (or Partial) Occupancies
- Practice Note 17: Hourly Rate Fees – Services of Principals or Staff is now:
Practice Guideline: Hourly Rate Fees – Services of Principals or Staff.
- Practice Note 1: British Columbia Building Code: 1992 Requirements for Proper Engagement of Architects and Engineers has been retired as it has been superseded by content in the Guide to Letters of Assurance, published by the Building and Safety Standards Branch.
- Practice Note 4: Letters of Assurance has been retired as it has been superseded by content in the Guide to Letters of Assurance.
- Practice Note 5: Standard Construction Documents has been retired as it is obsolete.
- Practice Note 7: Payments to the Architect On Account of Project Suspension has been retired.
- Practice Note 11: Employment Standards: Rights, Obligations and Recommended Practices has been retired.
Several documents are still under review, and will remain Practice Notes until they are reissued:
- Practice Note 3: Public School Facilities is under review.
- Practice Note 10: Professional Liability Insurance and Related Issues is under review.
- Practice Note 16: Professional Design and Field Review by Supporting Registered Professionals is under review. A revised Joint Guideline (EGBC-AIBC) will be issued soon.
If you have any questions about the transition or the content of these documents, please contact Maura Gatensby Architect AIBC, Lead Practice Advisor and Regulatory Liaison at email@example.com.