The following is a volunteer opportunity from the City of Victoria.
The City of Victoria is seeking one volunteer professional architect (registered or eligible to be registered with AIBC) to participate on a Technical Working Group to support the review and update of the urban design guidelines contained in the Downtown Core Area Plan (DCAP).
The Technical Working Group will meet (late afternoon/evenings) approximately once every 3-4 weeks between December 2019 and April 2020. The Technical Working Group will consist of approximately nine to ten individuals representing downtown core area neighbourhoods, developers, design professionals and heritage professionals. Working group members will be responsible for providing technical feedback and sharing ideas to help update the existing urban design guidelines. Ideally, the architect volunteer will have direct working knowledge and experience designing new developments with the Downtown Core Area Plan.
The DCAP was originally approved in September 2011 and has continued to provide policy guidance on matters related to growth and development within the broader Downtown Core Area. Most commonly, the DCAP provides policy and design guidance for the review of development permits, rezoning applications and improvements to the public realm.
Key outcomes may include:
- Removal of policy redundancy for topics that are addressed through the Official Community Plan.
- Consolidation of urban design policies contained in the Appendices.
- Updated urban design guidelines and policies to better support the development of building forms that are suited and appropriate for the context of the Downtown Core Area and that improve liveability.
- Revised and simplified diagrams and illustrations.
- Updated density bonus system to reflect recently approved City-wide density bonus and inclusionary housing policies.
If you are interested in participating in this project or have any questions, please contact one of the following City of Victoria staff members no later than December 6, 2019:
Robert Batallas, Senior Planner firstname.lastname@example.org 250 361.0286; or
Joaquin Karakas, Senior Urban Designer email@example.com 250.361.0535