Each year, AIBC members and honorary members have an opportunity to help shape the work of the body responsible for regulating the profession of architecture in B.C. on behalf of the public. AIBC Council’s leadership ensures that the AIBC is a vibrant, active and effective organization, while supporting initiatives that contribute to the ongoing success of the built environment.
Council consists of 15 voting members: 10 elected by and from the members (Architects AIBC) in good standing, four appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, and a representative of the UBC School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
The council nomination process is governed by the Architects Act and AIBC Bylaws. Nominees must be a member of the Institute in good standing who is nominated by five members in good standing.
Term of Office and Time Commitment
Each year, five council members are elected for a two-year term. Those elected will take office immediately following the Annual Meeting.
Council members should be prepared to fully participate during the scheduled meetings and planning sessions, held during normal work hours and typically up to two hours in length. Council members are also expected to attend a variety of AIBC events throughout the year.
Call for Nominations
The council nomination process is governed by the Architects Act, AIBC Bylaws (PDF), and Council Rules 4: Electronic Voting and Council Elections (PDF). The Institute welcomes candidates from across B.C. as participation on council can be facilitated by technology for remote attendance.
Information about AIBC Council nominations and frequently asked questions can be found on the Council Nominations webpage.
Council Election Voting Period and Results
The electronic voting period will open on April 13, 2020, with e-voting instructions emailed directly to eligible voting members and honorary members. The election will close at 12 p.m. on May 4, 2020. The five successful candidates will be announced prior to adjournment of the Annual Meeting on May 4, 2020.
Volunteer Opportunity for Election Scrutineers
The role call for election scrutineers opens in the spring.
2020 Key Dates
- December 10–Call for Council Member Nominations opens.
- January 23 and February 27–Governance Workshops for candidate Attendance is mandatory.
- March 6 (at 4 p.m.) –Call for Council Member Nominations closes.
- March 11 & 16–Candidate interviews with the Nominations Review Committee.
- March 24–The names of all candidates are announced and candidate statement forms are posted online. Candidates endorsed by the Nominations Review Committee will be noted accordingly.
- April 13 to May 4 (12 p.m.)–Council election e-voting period.
- May 4–Election results announced at the 2020 Annual Meeting