Each year, AIBC members and honorary members have an opportunity to help shape the work of the body responsible for regulating the profession of architecture in B.C. on behalf of the public. AIBC Council’s leadership ensures that the AIBC is a vibrant, active and effective organization, while supporting initiatives that contribute to the ongoing success of the built environment.
Council consists of 15 voting members: 10 elected by and from the members (Architects AIBC) in good standing, four appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, and a representative of the UBC School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
The council nomination process is governed by the Architects Act and AIBC Bylaws. Nominees must be a member of the Institute in good standing who is nominated by five members in good standing.
Term of Office and Time Commitment
Each year, five council members are elected for a two-year term. Those elected will take office immediately following the Annual Meeting.
Council members should be prepared to fully participate during the scheduled meetings and planning sessions, held during normal work hours and typically up to two hours in length. Council members are also expected to attend a variety of AIBC events throughout the year.
Call for Nominations
The council nomination process is governed by the Architects Act, AIBC Bylaws (PDF), and Council Rules 4: Electronic Voting and Council Elections (PDF). The Institute welcomes nominees from across B.C. as participation on council can be facilitated by technology for remote attendance.
Information about AIBC Council nominations, including nominee eligibility and competencies, the call for council nominations, the role of the Nominations Review Committee, and frequently asked questions, can be found on the Council Nominations webpage.
Council Election Voting Period and Results
The electronic voting period will open on April 15, 2019 with e-voting instructions emailed directly to eligible voting members and honorary members. The election will close at 12 p.m. on May 6, 2019. The five successful nominees will be announced prior to adjournment of the Annual Meeting on May 6, 2019.
Volunteer Opportunity for Election Scrutineers
Members will be invited to apply to become election scrutineers in spring 2019.
2019 Key Dates
- February 12–Call for Council Member Nominations opens.
- March 7 at 4 p.m.–Call for Council Member Nominations closes.
- March 18 & 22–Governance Workshops for nominees. Attendance is mandatory.
- March 27 & 29–Nominee interviews with the Nominations Review Committee.
- April 2–Nominations Review Committee review completed. The names of all nominees are announced and nominee statement forms are posted online. Nominees endorsed by the Nominations Review Committee will be noted accordingly.
- April 15 to May 6 (12 p.m.)–Council election e-voting period. Notification sent to eligible voters on April 15.
- May 6–Election results announced at the Annual Meeting.