1. Fulfill one of the categories of education and related experience requirements:
- Category 1
Education: Graduation from an AIBC-approved two-year technology diploma program (such as the BCIT Architectural and Building Engineering Technology Diploma Program) or equivalent.
Experience: Two years of related work experience, at least one year of which must be under the direct supervision of an Architect AIBC.
- Category 2
Education: Graduation from an AIBC-approved one-year certificate program or equivalent.
Experience: Five years of related work experience, at least three years of which must be under the direct supervision of an Architect AIBC.
- Category 3
Education: No AIBC-approved education necessary.
Experience: Seven years of related work experience under the direct supervision of an Architect AIBC.
2. Complete the Ethics, Act and Bylaws course offered by the AIBC.
Learn more about the Ethics, Act and Bylaws course.
3. Apply and successfully complete the Architectural Technologist Examination.
The 2019 exam dates are April 9 and November 20, 2019.
The next Architectural Technologist exam will be offered on Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at the AIBC office. The application form will be sent to all eligible applicants by email, as well as posted on this webpage between the application open and closing dates starting in March. All applicants will require prior approval of educational and experience requirements, and completion of the Ethics, Act and Bylaws course before registration.
Additional exam sittings will be available in April and November 2020.
- Architectural Technologist Examination Application Form (PDF)
- Exam Information (PDF)
- Photo Identification Form (PDF)
Architectural Technologist Affiliates
Applicants seeking Architectural Technologist registration are encouraged to first apply as an Architectural Technologist Affiliate, and before registering for the Ethics, Act and Bylaws course and taking the Architectural Technologist exam.
Once signed up as an affiliate, applicants may submit confirmation letters of employment and copies of educational credentials, such as diplomas and certificates, for review. These will be used to determine eligibility category and to provide feedback and recommendations for further education or experience, if required.
Architectural Technologist affiliates also receive the following benefits:
- Optional subscription to the AIBC e-newsletter, Connected, for monthly news about the Institute and events in the architectural community.
- Discounts to AIBC events, such as the annual AIBC Conference.
- Discounted rates for AIBC courses, including the Ethics, Act and Bylaws course (required for Architectural Technologist registration).
- Waived postings fee for the AIBC’s Classifieds website.
- Reminders and information about upcoming courses and exam sittings.
Please note that Architectural Technologist Affiliates pay an annual fee; refer to Bulletin 1: Fees, Fines and Charges for the current fee schedule. To register as an Architectural Technologist Affiliate, please fill out the AT Affiliate Application Form (PDF).
Note: Affiliates are not considered registrants of the AIBC and are not listed on the AIBC Register. There are no rights to vote or use of any registered titles affiliated with the Architectural Institute of British Columbia.
Please contact the Registration & Licensing Department at email@example.com for more information.